Thursday 14 August 2008

This week's dilemma...

Homework: This problem comes from a newspaper column where people write in with a problem, and other members of the public give their advice. Read the problem. What advice would you give? (Answer in the "comments" page.)


Do I have to act my age?

My name is Polly and I'm 47. I am single, and my children have left home. I am very successful in my career, and have a lot of friends, but I'm not satisfied. I long to change my life. I want to live abroad, paint, and write poetry, but my friends tell me I should stop being silly and act my age. What should I do?
(Adapted from New Headway Pre-intermediate. SOARS, John and Liz. Oxford: OUP, 2001.)

6 comments:

Aurélio Araújo said...

This is the advice that Izabel has released:

"Dear Polly,I'm sure that you're successful in your career paiting and writing but in my opinion you should live abroad ,so you can have a lot of new opportunities maybe can find another friends there .Don't be afraid and enjoy yourself."

Marcello Rezende said...

Never is later for to try be happy, then Polly, go on being yourself! Perhaps to live abroad can be a great idea! Don´t give up your dreams!

Mayara said...

POLLY I agree with Marcelo... NEVER give up your dreams...
GO...
Live abroad and after you find new friends... Some opportunities are uniques!
bye...
GOOD LUCK!

Unknown said...

Polly.. i think you should to continue with your career.. but enjoy your life too. Go out with your friends, don't stay alone... Kisses!

Marcela said...

Polly, you should to try be happy and don`t care about the others!!!

Aurélio Araújo said...

Correction:

Izabel
"Dear Polly, I'm sure that you're successful in your career in paiting and writing but in my opinion you should live abroad ,so you can have a lot of new opportunities maybe can (omit can) find another friends there .Don't be afraid and enjoy yourself."

Marcello:
"Never is later for to try be happy, then Polly, go on being yourself! Perhaps to live abroad can be a great idea! Don´t give up your dreams!"
(It's never late to try to be happy)

Mayara:
"POLLY, I agree with Marcelo... NEVER give up your dreams...
GO...
Live abroad and after you find new friends... Some opportunities are uniques! (unique).


bye...
GOOD LUCK!"

Jessica:
"Polly.. i think you should to (omit 'to') continue with (omit 'with') your career.. but enjoy your life too. Go out with your friends, don't stay alone... Kisses!"

Maria Cláudia:
"Polly, you should to (omit to) try to be happy and don`t (not to care) care about the others!!!"